Do you have long work days? The slow cooker is a great appliance but food left in the slow cooker too long can get dried out and ends up tasteless. A client questioned whether or not you can use frozen poultry in the slow cooker and leave it for a long, long time. So I decided to try this out.
Here are some tips for the slow cooker.
- Soups and stews can be cooked for a long time because they have a lot of liquid.
- Roasted or braised chicken or meat dishes can’t be left too long or they will get too dry and burn on the edges.
- Skinless poultry on the bone tastes better than boneless poultry.
- Pick a slow cooker that has a timer and a warm setting that allows you to stop cooking before you get home.
- Make food in bulk. Here’s what it looked like at our house when I made this soup. A couple bowls for dinner and then the rest into glass containers for lunch the next day and some more for the freezer.
Crock Pot Chicken & Potato Soup
- 3 pounds frozen skinless chicken on the bone, organic
- 1 pound bright orange sweet potatoes and/or small new potatoes, organic
- 5 stalks celery, organic
- 5 carrots
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch parsley, organic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups broth*, Imagine or Pacific brand
- Defrost the chicken just enough so that you can break up the pieces and place in the slow cooker.
- Cube the potatoes, celery, carrots, and onion into bite size pieces and put in the slow cooker. Add more veggies if needed so that you’ve got a bunch in there.
- Mince the garlic and parsley and put in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with black pepper.
- Top with broth. Add enough to cover the veggies and chicken with 1-2 inches of liquid on top.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. It can remain on warm for hours; I left it for 10 hours total.
*For those with celiac, ensure that this ingredient is gluten-free and preferably from a gluten-free facility
Makes 6 servings; per serving:
207 calories, 2.4 grams fat, 806 mg sodium (use low sodium broth to reduce this), 29 grams carbohydrate, 5 grams fiber, 4 grams natural sugar, 18 grams protein
Want More Slow Cooker Recipes?
Material on this blog is provided for informational purposes only. It is general information that may not apply to you as an individual, and is not a substitute for personalized nutrition or health advice or healthcare. Never disregard medical advice or delay seeking medical care because of something you have read or accessed through this website.