by Katie Lehn, RD
Holiday parties are full steam ahead and bring to mind the question of: What to bring? Baked goods seem to get the most attention at these events and who doesn’t want to be recognized for a job well done? However, I challenge you to use your next potluck as an opportunity to shock your friends and family with a healthy option.
Please don’t mistake a healthy choice with a boring choice. These gorgeous spring rolls will wipeout an old veggie tray with one bite.
We’ve all been to a party that’s been overtaken by sweets and lacking in any real food options. I tend to leave these events with a head ache and growling stomach. Step up to the plate and be the veggie supplier at your next gathering; you won’t regret it with these tasty rolls.
Rainbow Spring Rolls with Peanut Ginger Dipping Sauce
Peanut Ginger Dipping Sauce
- Smash garlic cloves with the flat side of a knife, using your palm. Remove dry casing and place in blender.
- Slice stem off pepper, cut in half and remove seeds and white membrane. Add to blender.
- Squeeze lime juice into blender.
- Cut peel off ginger and add to blender.
- Add the remaining sauce ingredients and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Wash and scrub all the veggies.
- Cut carrot in half, into two long pieces. Slice each half into ¼ inch slices. Cut each of these slices into ¼ inch strips.
- Thinly slice cabbage.
- Cut top and bottom off cucumber. Cut cucumber in half, leaving two cylinder-shaped pieces. Slice each of these halves lengthwise into ¼ slices. Cut each of these slices lengthwise into ¼ inch strips.
- Lay bell pepper on its side and cut off the top and bottom.
- Stand bell pepper upright and slice in half. Remove any excess white membrane.
- Lay pepper skin-side up and slice into ¼ inch strips.
- Remove cilantro and basil leaves from the stems.
- Cut mango to remove edible meat from fibrous core (about 1/3 on each side). Using a paring knife, peel skin off mango. Slice mango into ¼ inch strips.
- Cut avocados in half and remove pits. Peel skin off avocado and slice into ¼ inch slices.
- Fill a pie pan or shallow baking dish with warm water. Carefully submerge rice paper for 5 seconds and place on parchment paper. Place sliced veggies/fruit, spinach and herbs in the middle of the rice sheet. Lift one end of the rice paper and gently but firmly wrap over ingredients. Tuck in side pieces and continue to roll over.
- Continue wrapping until all veggies have been used.
- Serve cold with Ginger Peanut Sauce.
Recipe from Nourishing Results, LLC
Add sautéed tofu: Before wrapping spring rolls, slice 1 package non-GMO, extra-firm tofu into ½ inch strips. Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook tofu slices until golden brown on each side.