Per request, here is the recipe for my Classic Kale Salad. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! One tip: if you enjoy a little more crunch to your salad, omit the avocado and add 1-2 tablespoons more olive oil. This will allow the bread crumbs to stay extra crispy.
A simple, yet flavorful kale salad that is always a hit.
If you plan to use quinoa, cook it in advance as follows: Add 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups of water to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Let simmer for about 15 minutes, or until quinoa is tender. Fluff with a fork and refrigerate.
- 1 bunch organic lacinato kale (aka black/dinosaur kale)
- 1 lemon
- a pinch of sea salt
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- a few cracks of fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs, gluten-free breadcrumbs (Kinnikinnick or Ian's) or quinoa (cooked in advance)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Remove ribs from kale and thinly slice into ¼ inch slices. Add to a large bowl.
- Cut lemon in half and squeeze juice over the kale. Sprinkle salt over the kale and using your hands, massage the lemon juice into the kale.
- Smash garlic cloves with the flat side of a knife, using your palm. Remove dry casing and mince using a garlic press or your knife. Add to the kale.
- Cut avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop the meat of the avocado into a small bowl and mash up with a fork.
- Add mashed avocado to the kale and combine. Kale will be coated with avocado.
- Drizzle salad with olive oil and add fresh ground pepper and red pepper fakes.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs/quinoa onto salad.
- Shred Parmesan cheese, add to salad and serve. For dairy free, top with salted sunflower seeds or any nut/seed of your choice.
Recipe from Nourishing Results, LLC