Cherry, Apple, Walnut and Fennel Salad
Another anti-inflammatory concoction of yumminess. Cherries, apples, walnuts, and dark greens are all known to reduce chronic, low-grade inflammation, which negatively effects our health, body weight and mood. Large meals can cause inflammation in your body to temporarily skyrocket...So a little anti-inflammatory action is necessary come Thanksgiving Dinner.Take care with the ingredients and this super simple salad can be really fantastic. It's a wonderful side salad to compliment simply prepared chicken or fish. You could also make an entree salad by adding leftover diced turkey (or chicken or salmon if it's not Thanksgiving).Cherry, Apple, Toasted Walnut and Fennel Salad
- 4 cups organic mixed salad greens
- 1/4 cup dried unsweetened organic cherries
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/2 organic apple
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 small fennel bulb
- 1 tablespoon 100% organic apple juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon iodized salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 slice of apple
- Prep the cherries and walnuts. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and add the cherries to the hot water. Let them soak for about 10 minutes until softened. Drain well and cool. Toast the walnuts in a warm skillet moving them constantly, about 5 minutes.
- Prep the apple and carrots. Thinly slice the fennel. Use a vegetable peeler to make long thin pieces of carrot and apple.
- Thinly slice the fennel.
- Mix the ingredients for the vinaigrette together in a blender or a food processor.
- Toss the greens, fennel, cherries and walnuts together. Drizzle with a little bit of the vinaigrette.
- Enjoy the lovely colorful and crunchy salad.
- Make the vinaigrette ahead of time and store in an airtight container.