French Lentil Soup (Slow Cooker)
Last week, I mentioned that I am running with a friend after work once a week. To overcome the challenges associated with getting home later than usual, we are both making slow cooker meals and then swapping recipes. Lentil soup was a request from my hubby and this recipe is definitely a keeper.Make it your own by using more or less veggies and herbs. Or try different spices. My parents always make lentil soup quite simply with just onion and cumin; maybe there's some garlic added at the end. I didn't want my lentil soup to fade in comparison to their delicious creation, so I tried something new. Next time I may be up for the challenge of recreating their recipe.French Lentil Soup
- 1 onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 3 stalks organic celery
- 3 carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons organic cold-pressed olive oil
- 1 little can organic tomato paste (or 3 tablespoons tomato paste with 1 can diced tomatoes)
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups green lentils (not red, they will turn to mush)
- Dice onion, garlic, celery and carrots. Add to the crock pot.
- Add the herbs, salt, pepper and oil. Mix it all around a bit.
- Add the tomato paste and water. Mix it all around.
- Add the lentils.
- Cook on low for 10-12 hours. If needed, add vegetable broth to thin out the consistency when you are ready to serve.
Nutrition Details:Gluten-free, dairy-free, veganMakes 6 servings, per serving:310 calories, 8 grams fat, 1 gram saturate fat, 236 mg sodium, 44 grams carbohydrate, 21 grams fiber, 3.5 grams natural sugar, 17 grams protein