Summertime Oatmeal (Muesli)
I really love oatmeal. But eating oatmeal all summer is a little ridiculous. It's much too hot for hot cereal! That's why I make Summertime Oatmeal. It's a great way of enjoying oatmeal all year! Some may call this muesli. But since I've only had real muesli once in my life, I really can't say if this is "muesli" or not.Summertime Oatmeal (Muesli)
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt, any variety (dairy, or try almond and coconut milk yogurt, which are delicious)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened milk, any variety (dairy, almond, coconut, soy, hemp, etc)
- 1 cup cut fruit, any variety, organic is preferred
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, any variety
- Cinnamon, to your liking
- Vanilla or almond extract, about 1/2 teaspoon, or more if you love it
- Cover the oats with milk. Let the oats soak up the milk overnight or at least 10 minutes.
- Mix in yogurt, fruit, nuts, cinnamon and extract. Add a little more milk if you want. Play with the ratios, just be sure to get plenty of fruit and nuts in there!
- Serve cold. Keeps for about 2 days. Beyond two days, leftovers can go into a smoothie with a little more milk and ice cubes.
I made this for a nutrition class that I gave at the Reproductive Health Center last night and the ladies LOVED it! They hadn't tried this before and thought it was a cool, new way to do oatmeal. We used apple, strawberries, dairy yogurt and milk, almonds and almond extract. Delish!Nutrition DetailsGluten-free (use certified gluten-free oats), dairy-free and veganMakes about 4 servings; per serving:229 calories, 12 grams fat, 1.3 grams saturated fat, 23 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, 5 grams natural sugar, 9 grams protein